I love gadgets. When I saw a video of a Full Body Vibration (FBV) / Whole Body Vibration (WBV) Platform I immediately wanted to know how this gadget helped users with muscle soreness. I could not locate any scientific studies regarding muscle fatigue relief and FBV/WBV. However, I did surprisingly find several studies that hinted at other potential benefits to using such a device (i.e. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170315143836.htm).
I recently purchased an FBV to try it out for my post-workout and post-stretching muscle pain and stiffness. The way the device was described it made me think it could partially mimic the vibrations of a therapeutic soak in a hot tub.
I purchased this device on eBay for a very reasonable price: 30″ Full Body Fitness 3D Vibration Plate Platform Exercise Machine w/ Straps by Murtisol.
From the research I did on these devices, I think users are supposed to actually workout on them instead of just stand on them. I am not working out on this device. I do my normal workout each day and then I stand in a relaxed position on the device for 10 minutes on this setting: manual, speed 3. I am very pleased with the results so far. I have only been using the platform for about a month but I have noticed a significant decrease in leg soreness and stiffness (most notably first thing in the morning). I will continue to use this device each day after my workout and stretch as a massage tool.
If you decide to purchase the exact model I mention above, note the following:
- it is surprisingly quiet
- it is heavy, getting the package into the house may be challenging for some (it has wheels and a handle for tipping and wheeling it around for ideal placement once the device is unpacked)
- it takes up space (it is 30 inches long) so do not think it is something you can pack away easily – you will want it out and accessible every day
- I have been using this particular brand for about a month so I cannot say at this time how well this device functions long-term but so far it is working as expected
- this particular model simultaneously rocks in different directions so be aware of this in case you have balance issues
- consult your physician first before using this device if you have pre-existing conditions
- this device has an added benefit of making you sound like Darth Vader if you chat on the phone with friends while standing on it